VIETNAM LIFESTYLE & TRAVEL BLOGStay tuned to the latest Vietnam travel stories and tips
Invisible App Zone
No matter how young or old your kids are, there are plenty of things to do in Vietnam with family. In the vibrant city of Ho Chi Minh family activities range from exploring lush gardens and parks to a day out at one of the expansive theme parks or enjoying traditional performances in the heart of the city. Ho Chi Minh City also has a good mix of accommodation, dining, and shopping opportunities on offer, to keep both parents and kids happy.
1. Rin Rin Park – Situated in Xuan Thoi Dong, the real highlight of this immaculate little garden, is the truly spectacular Koi pond.
Sit back and relax in the calming gardens as the kids explore the wonderful water features and whimsical fish sculptures or spend hours watching the Koi.
2. Cu Chi tunnels – Discover an immense network of connecting underground tunnels located in the Cu Chi District of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
These fascinating tunnels form part of a much larger network of tunnels that underlie much of the country and were used during the Vietnam War. Don’t miss an opportunity for an interesting and educational visit to the Cu Chi Tunnels, where you can learn about the tunnel systems, and even crawl through them if you’re feeling adventurous.
3. Saigon Zoo and Botanical Gardens – Established in 1865, the Saigon Zoo and Botanical Gardens, are Vietnam's largest zoo and botanical garden.
Home to over 550 mammals, reptiles and birds, as well as more than 1,830 trees and 260 plant species in the botanical gardens. Explore the different sections of the zoo and gardens, including the animal conservation area, orchid garden and plant conservation centre and a children’s amusement area.
4. Jade Emperor Pagoda – Located in District 1, the Jade Emperor Pagoda is one of the most spectacular and atmospheric temples in Ho Chi Minh City.
The temple was built in 1909 in honour in the supreme Taoist god (the Jade Emperor) and is stuffed full with fierce looking heroes and menacing Taoist figures, that are sure to thrill your children while you delve into the rich history of this unusual and mesmerising place. Even the former President of the USA, Obama paid a visit to the Jade Emperor Pagoda, so it's surely worth a visit.
5. Tao Dan Park – Take a stroll with the kids through this leafy public park featuring manicured gardens, a Buddhist temple, play areas & sports facilities.
The 10-hectare Tao Dan Park is one of the city's most attractive green spaces. The park is split down the middle, with a small contemporary sculpture garden on the northeast side and on the other side, the Labour Culture Palace with tennis courts, a colonnaded art-deco swimming pool and a clubhouse.
6. Artinus 3D Art Museum – This offbeat, family-friendly museum is the first of its kind in Ho Chi Minh City.
The spacious exhibit is filled with vibrant murals and paintings of wildlife, sculptures and popular landmarks that seem almost lifelike. Perhaps the museum’s main draw is the Vietnam Zone featuring three-dimensional paintings of ladies dressed in traditional ao dai costumes.
7. Ben Thanh Market – In District 1, central Ho Chi Minh, Ben Thanh Market is a large marketplace and, as one of the earliest surviving structures in Saigon is an important symbol of the city.
Explore local handicrafts, textiles and souvenirs, as well as a taste of the local cuisine.
8. Saigon Reunification Palace – This must-visit family-friendly attraction has a special appeal for kids and is an interesting stop for parents too.
The spacious public areas make a befitting backdrop for a princess fantasy, while the basement war rooms will appeal to your little heroes.
9. Monkey Island – Situated in Halong Bay, this scenic, swampy mangrove forest features wild crocodiles and dozens of clever monkeys.
The kids will love watching the monkey’s as they dart around on the soft sand. Monkey island isn’t just about the monkeys, there is also a short trek that takes you up to the peak of the island, offering one of the best views of the bay.
10. Sherwood Residence – Finding the right hotel is likely an essential on your family itinerary for Vietnam. The 5-star Sherwood Residence apartments are ideally located on scenic Pasteur Street in District 3 Ho Chi Minh City, with easy access to all major tourist attractions and shopping centres.
The hotel is perfect for travel with the family as there is an outdoor pool area, modern fitness centre, Finnish sauna, steam bath, table tennis, billiards and golf putting area, yoga room, plus an array of kid-friendly features, including a playroom, mini cinema, game room and separate children’s pool.